Friday, September 21, 2007

Snake Bite!

A long held dream of mine was fulfilled today. My co-worker Joe and I went to Wakefield for lunch in his car and we were bringing food back for another co-worker. Another car load of people came with us as well. After we ate I had food to bring back and Joe suggested that I give it to the other car since I'd be driving and held out his keys. I wasn't sure if I should reach out for them or if he would pull them back. I was frozen. You see Joe owns my if-I-won-the-lottery-car, a Dodge Viper. I've long dreamed to own or even simply drive one of these beasts.

I cautiously reached out for the keys and had them in hand. He knows how much driving one would mean to me, and I said "Now would be a very bad time to tell me you're joking". He just laughed and said that he was serious, and I haven't felt this grateful for something in a long time.

What you need to understand is that my 2 dream cars since 1997 have been a WRX and a Viper (attainable, and lottery winner respectively). I now own one and have driven the other which is probably as close as I'll ever come to one and I'm OK with that.

This car handles like its on rails and is ridiculously fast. For those of you that don't know what a Viper is it's a rear wheel drive 500 horsepower 6 speed manual monster. This particular one is a yellow convertible. It has 6 speeds but I wasn't going to need them. We were rolling on 95 doing 60 mph when a lane opened and I was told to "open it up". Still in 4th gear at 60mph I nailed the gas and hit 100 mph in what seemed like about 5-6 car lengths. Now my car's no slouch to say the least, but this just amazed me. It's the fastest and nicest car I have ever, or probably will ever drive. I'm still giddy from it.

I think him offering comes from 2 things; 1) we're both car guys and he understands my profound admiration and respect for that car. He knows I wouldn't beat on it and I'd be extremely careful. 2) He's been without his car for 2 months of prime summer driving and it's really been eating at him (got it back last Saturday). A few weeks ago when going out to lunch I told him to drive my car because I know how lunch he missed driving a performance vehicle. He was very appreciative and put Blue through the paces. Call it karma (car-ma)

BTW when a Viper owner is impressed by your car you've done something right ;-)

8 comments:

I Ain't No Oprah said...

You forgot to put in the part where you got bitten by the snake.

1. Did it hurt?

2. Did you go to the hospital?

3. Did you cry (girl)

4. What did you have for lunch?

bacon ace said...

1) No

2) No but it's still attached, though it is dead.

3) No (douchebag)

4) A Schnerble. Check out www.fredsranks.com to find out what that is.

Cake said...

So to sum up:

You like bacon.

bacon ace said...

PRECISELY!!!

Sparkle Plenty said...

I once owned a 67 Dodge Coronet. That is really not the same thing at all, is it? No, it isn't. Wait, if I'm answering my own question, why am I leaving this comment? I don't know. Wait, I just did it again. Damn.

Bacon is good.

bacon ace said...

A '67 Coronet could be damn sweet depending on the package. What engine? Was it the R/T, Hemi, or Super Bee?
I fell in love with a '68 blue Coronet in high school. 440 ci engine with a 6 pack carb. *sigh* i would have really liked to have bought that car. Though it was an automatic.

bacon ace said...

Whoa waitasecond. You listen to punk on vinyl AND have owned muscle cars? Where have you been all my life?

Cake said...

Clearly, she was hiding in the Toy Dinosaur aisle at Toys R Us.

Or possibly off at Pudding College.

Or maybe fighting robots in a field somewhere outside the city...

Or studying for her Canadian final entrance exams...quick! What's our Prime Minister's name?