Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Several Minutes!

There's this diner in Stow that I went to "several" years ago. I hadn't been back until last week for a "several" reasons; there were better places around, the atmosphere wasn't that great, odd service (not bad just "odd" read on).

So I ordered a bacon egg and cheese sandwich to go at the register. Nothing shocking there, it's me after all and I was in a breakfast food establishment. The server says to me "That will be several minutes" WTF does that even mean? Now when assuring a customer that their food will be ordered and sent to them there are many acceptable phrases such as "That will be right out", "That will be a few minutes", "Have a seat and Sheila will be out to rub your feet while you wait"*, "Nice sideburns dude"** However saying "That will be several minutes" sounds kind of confrontational, and he didn't say it in a confrontational tone, it just a damn odd thing to say to someone in that situation.

So I guess that's what it comes down to, the circumstances. If someone were to say "That will be several minutes" to me in reference to food arriving it could be off putting. Now if a surgeon had said to me "This will be several minutes" before knee surgery I'd be like "Cool man, take your time".

Oh, and the diner is now under new management. I went last weekend for the first time since the "several minutes" episode and there were no odd service instances that caused me to ponder them for years. Though to be fair it hasn't been years since last weekend.


*OK this really isn't an acceptable phrase for letting someone know there food will arrive shortly however if confronted with this option I'd be removing my shoes post haste.

**Alright that one doesn't even make any sense. It came to mind because last night the doorman at Ralph's complimented me on my sideburns and said he almost wanted to let me in without paying the cover because they were so nice. And he'd be right in doing so no doubt, but it made me realize something; women don't compliment me on my sideburns, but I get it from men all the time. Sometimes just random dudes walking down the street will stop me and compliment me on them. I think I've only ever been complimented on them by a woman once (and no, it wasn't my ex-wife that wouldn't count) but she turned out to be kind of a douche so… I suppose the moral of this story is that I can either shave or if I go gay I'll never be alone. Good to know for a backup plan.

6 comments:

Jayne said...

I once went in a burger type place and I saw one of the chefs coming out of the toilet and wiping his hands on his apron. That really put me off. His apron was all smeared, so I was unsure on the substances clinging to it.

Nice sideburns.

Sparkle Plenty said...

HIYA, Mr. Bacon! Thanks for the new post*! I love me the diners. Foot massages sound like a good side order to pancakes to me.

Uh-oh. Jayne** and I have already complimented your sideburns.*** Does that mean that we are: 1) Really men or really gay men; or 2) Kind of douches?

*Love your pictures in the photobucket--the link you put on No Oprah worked. WHAT a heckuva cute kitty, too.
**Oooh, JAYNE! Ick. No one wants to see that. I suspect that worse things go on in kitchens than that, but to see firsthand is to be haunted by the image.
***What's Ralph's? (I live under a rock.)

bacon ace said...

Awww you gals are sweet or possibly some kinda dudes/douches hybrid. Nah, I'll go with sweet.

Spark-Kill
1) Ralph's is a rock club/bar in Worcester. Which is a magical land far away from civilization.
2) That's my cat Pinky. Best cat ever!

bacon ace said...

Oops, didn't realize the whole album was public from that one link. Hahahaha

Sparkle Plenty said...

1) Whew, thank goodness we're not dudouches!
2) I like Worcester!
3) Not to worry, I'm too stupid to work photo bucket. I only saw a few of your photos--mountain and kitties--none of the furry-related ones.

Cake said...

1) I looked at the album earlier, too, but didn't know what I was looking at...and if I didn't know what I was looking at, I probably didn't see anything I wasn't supposed to. Yer safe!

2) My cat Reilly is the best cat ever, though. Sorry.

3) Nice sideburns!

4) I like Worcester mainly because of how it's said...wicked pissa pronunciation.