Wednesday, October 10, 2007

On honesty and the internet

On honesty and the internet


So I decided to join an online dating site because the other women I were meeting were..uh...well most of you know how those ended. Let's just say that I want to find someone honest, and where there's something more than just a base attraction, and a whole lot less crazy. A whole damn lot less crazy! It stands to reason that by matching up certain likes, and dislikes I could eliminate some potential bad matches right?

So my first contact from this dating site just came through at work in the form of an IM. I'll post it below, but the first few lines are cut off.

[12:53] klooking4u2: ok

[12:54] my screen name: so call me crazy, but who are you?

[12:54] klooking4u2: i am cathy

[12:54] my screen name: nice to meet you Cathy, I'm Mason

[12:55] klooking4u2: nice to meet you also

[12:55] my screen name: and would I be correct in assuming that this contact was initiated through my yahoo profile?

[12:56] my screen name: BTW if I don't respond I may have jumped into a meeting

[12:56] klooking4u2: Nope yahoo personals

[12:56] my screen name: right, that's what i meant

[12:56] klooking4u2: k

[12:57] my screen name: and now you have me at a disadvantage; you know who I am and I'm speaking to a blank screen ;-)

[12:57] klooking4u2: same here

Ok this is where it starts to seem odd. She either doesn't understand what I mean, or she's reluctant to send me her profile.

[12:57] my screen name: so, are you burning company time as well?

[12:58] klooking4u2: lol nope personal time

[12:59] my screen name: ah. i'm a consultant who is currently without a client so I'm what they call "on the bench"

[12:59] klooking4u2: lol

[12:59] klooking4u2: what is your realjob

[12:59] my screen name: doing random tasks, and apparently chatting online

;-)

[13:00] klooking4u2: ok

[13:00] my screen name: when i'm not chatting on IM? I'm a software quality assurance engineer or manager depending on the day

[13:00] klooking4u2: ok

[13:00] my screen name: sometimes a project manager too if the need arises

[13:00] my screen name: how about yourself?

[13:01] klooking4u2: i sell arts and leathers

[13:01] my screen name: interesting

[13:01] my screen name: is this a gallery thing, or retail/wholesale?

[13:02] klooking4u2: what is your name in full and where do youlive . galery i have a website for this also

WTF? That's in my profile. So here's where I knew something screwy was definitely up.

[13:02] my screen name: , and I recently moved back to Watertown

[13:02] my screen name: are you also an artist?

[13:02] klooking4u2: Ok thats fine what state are you at present mason ?

[13:03] my screen name: in MA, or if that's not what you were asking then "contentment"

Again it's in my profile but i wanted to see where this went.

[13:03] klooking4u2: lol

[13:04] my screen name: and yourself?

[13:04] klooking4u2: i live in Ny city

[13:04] my screen name: kind of a hike

[13:05] my screen name: how did you end up finding my profile?

[13:05] klooking4u2: www.john-carwithen.com

[13:05] klooking4u2: that is my website check it the only this is that it was created inmy ex name

[13:07] my screen name: you're not just trying to drum up arts sales are you?

So at this point I actually thought she was just trying to sell me paintings.

[13:08] klooking4u2: i make arts and leathers that is what i sell i buy them from Uk and sell them in the states

[13:08] klooking4u2: iam now in Uk for 3weeks purchase time for me but i will be back in 3 weeks

[13:09] my screen name: back in NY?

[13:09] klooking4u2: yes

[13:09] klooking4u2: i will be back in Ny

[13:09] klooking4u2: do you live in Ny before moving back to MA

[13:09] my screen name: nope, I only visit there about twice a year. i have friends in brooklyn

[13:10] klooking4u2: Ok thats fine

Well then, I'm glad you approve.

[13:10] klooking4u2: are you looking for a lady that can relocate to youafter some time

[13:10] my screen name: hmmm that's a lot to ask of a person

read: WTF?

[13:11] klooking4u2: well it is but i believe we are not all getting younger we need to make a family

[13:11] my screen name: ha

[13:11] my screen name: this is true

[13:11] klooking4u2: i am not just here for fun i want the best out of joinng

[13:12] klooking4u2: i wish i can meet a man as soon as i get back from Uk

[13:13] my screen name: Cathy, i'm afraid I'm just not interested in/cut out for a long distance relationship

[13:14] klooking4u2: idont understand explain better to me

[13:14] my screen name: well you live in NY, and I'm a 4 hour drive away

[13:14] my screen name: when would we see each other?

[13:15] klooking4u2: this is what i plan i want to meetyou face to face first and if thngs work out then we can arrange a relocation .... i work from home so a relocation is vey easy for me

[13:16] my screen name: that's a bit much. I'd feel responsible if you relocated and it didn't work out. i just got out of a 14 year relationship and this seems a bit too heavy for me at this time

So at this point I wasn't sure if it was a mail order bride/green card scam, or just some one really that messed up so I tried to be polite.

[13:17] klooking4u2: i undrstand well lets keepchatting and see where this brings us

[13:19] my screen name: I'm not sure you do understand. I'm not interested in anything long distance or that involved off the bat

[13:19] klooking4u2: i undrstand

[13:19] klooking4u2: ok

[13:20] klooking4u2: have anice day

[13:20] my screen name: you too

[13:20] my screen name: good luck with your green card

..:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

OK so just a few minutes after that another one comes in:

[13:29] deklicks: Hello how are you doing today hope all is well miss you online where ahve you been too really want to meet you online

[13:29] deklicks:

[13:29] deklicks: Hello how are you doing today hope all is well miss you online where ahve you been too really want to meet you online

[13:34] deklicks:

[13:40] my screen name: dong

[13:41] deklicks: Hello how are you doing today hope all is well

[13:41] my screen name: yes, all is well

[13:41] my screen name: and yourself?

[13:41] deklicks: Ok what is your name

[13:41] my screen name: that depends

[13:42] deklicks: Am lola by name 31 years and you

[13:44] my screen name: I mean it depends on where you're contacting me from

[13:45] deklicks:

[13:45] deklicks: Ok am from south carolina us and you

[13:45] my screen name: MA

[13:45] my screen name: you know, like it say in my profile?!?!

[13:46] my screen name: just so you know i just IMd with another mail order bride and I'm not interested

[13:47] my screen name: but good luck finding your sucker

[13:47] deklicks: what do you mean dont understand

[13:47] my screen name: I know

[13:47] my screen name: that's what makes this funny for me

[13:48] deklicks: what is sucker

[13:48] my screen name: someone that gets tricked

[13:48] deklicks: Ok do you mean tricked

[13:49] my screen name: yup

[13:50] deklicks: Ok

[13:50] deklicks: well dont know anything about that just new on here

[13:50] deklicks: will like you to tell me more about that

[13:51] my screen name: you know I'm not hearing much of a S. Carolina accent there

[13:51] my screen name: if I had to guess I'd say more eastern european. Perhaps Russian?

[13:52] deklicks: Yes but will liike you to tell me more about the internet cos i was just introduced to this internet stuff by a friend of mine last two weeks

[13:52] my screen name: oh you want to know about the internet?

[13:52] deklicks: what do you mean

[13:53] deklicks: Yes am new on this internet stuff what you just telling me now is strange

[13:53] my screen name: oh I see

[13:53] my screen name: ok let me help you out there

[13:54] my screen name: you see, the internet is a wonderful tool for communication

[13:54] deklicks: Ok

[13:54] my screen name: sometimes to find goods or services, soemtimes to find people

[13:54] deklicks: Tell me more

[13:54] my screen name: and sometimes bad people use it to prey on suckers

[13:55] deklicks: Ok that bad

[13:55] my screen name: they contact people in the guise of a friend or a potential love match. However (drum roll) sometimes these people aren't truthful

[13:55] my screen name: and these untruthful people are looking to marry someone to obtain a green card to gain citizenship in this country

[13:56] deklicks: Ok mdo you mean that oh its bad

[13:56] deklicks: Ok really

[13:56] my screen name: like for instance someone claiming to be in S Carolina looking to meet someone in Boston. You know, that's like a 12 hour drive right? That's kind of a date killer

[13:56] my screen name: do they have a word for sarcasm in Russian?

[13:57] deklicks: Oh am not from russia

[13:57] deklicks: ok

[13:57] my screen name: oh my mistake, where are you from?

[13:57] deklicks: Give me your email address to send you my pictures

[13:58] deklicks: ok

[13:58] my screen name: so here's the thing...

[13:58] deklicks:

[13:58] my screen name: I can't tell if you're tenacious, or if you simply don't undertsand that this is not working on me?

[13:58] deklicks: Ok

[13:59] deklicks: but do you mean the internet is dangerous

[13:59] my screen name: only for ignorant people and the easily fooled

[13:59] deklicks: Am from south carolina in usa

[13:59] deklicks: ok

[13:59] my screen name: and that's where you were born and raised?

[13:59] deklicks: Give me your email address to send you my pictures

[14:00] deklicks: Yes

[14:00] my screen name: is there a large russian population in SC?

[14:00] deklicks:

[14:00] my screen name: dong

[14:01] deklicks: Dont know

[14:01] my screen name: what's the capitol of SC?

[14:01] my screen name: I've never been there

[14:04] deklicks: where i am is Lyon

[14:05] my screen name: Lyon is the state capitol?

[14:07] deklicks: Yes

[14:07] my screen name: damn

[14:08] my screen name: you'd think there would have been a news story or something to let us way up here in the Northe east know about that

[14:08] deklicks: where are you from tell me the truth

[14:08] my screen name: that's ironic

[14:08] my screen name: but my location is in my personals ad

[14:09] deklicks: Oh well what are you up to huere

[14:09] deklicks: i mean what are you looking for on internet

[14:10] deklicks:

[14:10] my screen name: an honest woman that lives less than a 4 hour drive from me. know any?

[14:11] deklicks: Well that nice will you be online in 4 hours time so we can talk

[14:12] my screen name: you type " a lot. is that some kind of russian slang?

[14:12] deklicks: be on then will talk to you in 4 hours time have to run now cos someone is on the door will meet you in 4 hours time have

[14:12] my screen name: ok good luck with your green card

[14:12] my screen name: hope your sucker hunt goes well

[14:12] deklicks: will meet you in 4 gours time

[14:12] my screen name: you probably won't

[14:12] deklicks: talk to you then

[14:13] my screen name: I doubt it





And that ladies and gentlemen is my first experience with online dating.

25 comments:

bacon ace said...

It should be noted that this just happened a few minutes ago so that nobody's head explodes.

Cake said...

Well...it can only get better, right? Right??

(Way funny, by the way!)

Anonymous said...

Oh, dear, dear child...

You're going to be wading through an awful lot of chaff to get to the wheat on the Internet...

A suggestion: Do any of your local papers have telepersonals in their back pages? I think there's more likelihood of a real person being behind a recorded voice...

I wish you... amusement. And patience.

-- Lamont "Unconfirmed Bachelor" Cranston

Cake said...

A well-meaning friend of mine is famous for her advice to single men:

Join a knitting group.

She's mostly serious, too...

Sparkle Plenty said...

Whew. I'm oriented. This juuuust happened--thanks, Baconia.

I've got a teeny little vital question for you:
Is No Oprah privy to your yahoo "handle"? Because he could be having a whole lot of fun with this situation. In theory. A WHOLE lot of unholy fun.

Cake said...

Sparkle:

Oh brilliant!

Umm, say Bacon Ace, what IS your handle? No reason...just, ummm, curious.

::logs into Yahoo, all casual like::

bacon ace said...

Oh hell no he doesn't have my Yahoo name. Do you think I'm a retahd?

Sparkle Plenty said...

Why, no indeedy Bacon Man! You're wicked pissah smaht--it just seemed FEASIBLE to me.
This whole little scenario flitted through my brain. Y'know...No Oprah volunteering to "check out your profile...give you some tips," cold-bloodedly making a note of your nom de yahoo, and then sending you a slew of Russian mail-order bride IMs. I dunno. "Am lola by name 31 years" just sounded either like No Oprah pretending to be a chick or a robot to me. Sigh: Not like a Japanese cowgirl. Maybe there's a special section on yahoo? Or how about a Japanese cowgirlpunk?!

bacon ace said...

Japanese cowgirl punk eh? Why that's just crazy enough to work.

Lois Lane said...

Oh, goodness. I give you a lot of credit for getting out there, Mr. Ace. I think if I were suddenly single, I'd just call it a day and become a crazy cat lady or something.

Anonymous said...

Date me yes...fun time. You move here right because we have fun time ok.

Anonymous said...

Hello. My uncle has passed away, leaving me a sum $11 million. To get you mjust give to me help. Here govt must to have "certify fee" to collect money. I will mail you one-half of many millions if you send me $5,000 "certify fee." I am very ill. Bacon I like. I look like Japanese cowgirl. In furry outfit. Thanks to you and to god.

Anonymous said...

brb lol rotflmao fuckyousuckyoulicktouchyou gtg imnsho

bacon ace said...

NoOprah, way to just blurt it out there and ruin a year's worth of careful maneuvering.
Well let's see...
-Jayne lives in Old England where as I live in New England. If South Carolina was too far what makes you think I'd drive to England for a date?
-Sparkle thinks of me as a whipper snapper (paraphrasing of course)
-ex mrs bacon ace...do I even need to explain that one to you?
-Bemis. Hmmm...I'm pretty sure she's dead and I don't swing that way.

Yeah I think that's it for "single bitches from the blogs" but thanks for your advice.

Lois,
You're a woman that reads comic books. You'd never be alone.

I Ain't No Oprah said...

Or all those single broads could be me posting with fake names.

::winkwink::

Sparkle Plenty said...

Yep! No Oprah is a blurter. Okay, here's a plan:
--You buy an Amphicar, drive/float it to Old England (kind of a modern Kon-Tiki), have a date with Jayne, write a book about drive/floating the Amphicar to Old England, make millions, retire, and buy an island filled with muscle cars. No no! Don't bother me with details! I'm an architect, not a builder.
--I don't see you as a whipper snapper 'cause that would make me Granny Clampitt! No, no. You're a suave man about town. I'm just: 1) Not a japanese cowgirl. 2) Not into "furry stuff" like you are. 3) Dating someone. 4) Old enough to have been your favorite babysitter. 5) I think you're a pip, 'though (rats, I do sound like Granny Clampitt). When dust clears from my work freak-out, maybe we could shoot hoops some time (made more difficult if it is snowing, yet still possible) or see a band?!
--No, you probably don't have to explain ex-Mrs. Bacon Ace to No Oprah.
--GEEZ! I hope Bemis isn't dead. She is very funny and seemed like a peach. I miss her from the universe of blogging.
--The Choosen and the Taken: Lois--A woman with snappy hats who reads comix? NEVER ALONE. Ditto Cake, who we've established has at least 23 feminine wiles--28 when she's not limping.

Anonymous said...

Ahh, rats: Sparkle stepped on my comment about driving to England. I was gonna say that if Bacon Ace accomplished that, I'd pay for his petrol.

-- Lamont "Stick Shift" Cranston

Sparkle Plenty said...

AW, man, Lamont! I'm so sorry I stepped on your comment! Did I step on Cakie's comment, too? Is that why she's limping this week?

Cake said...

HEY! A very slightly limp that you can hardly see unless I'm trying to get pushed around in a chair does NOT reduce me by five whole feminine wiles! You take that back! ::boxes the air fiercely::

Sparkle Plenty said...

Whew...it's a good thing your limp has made you too weak to do much damage. HEY! I know what's making you limp--all that flaying you were doing yesterday. You sprained a muscle flaying. Well, young lady! I guess we'll think twice before flaying next time.

Jayne said...

Hang on, I heard my name. Am I allowed to comment here?

I've been tied up petting the dogs arse. It is better than online dating and the dog doesn't ask personal questions or need a green card. Perfect!!

Cake said...

::flays Sparkle::
::pauses::
::feels bad about it::
::gets David Tennant to bring the Tardis by, goes back in time, undoes flaying::
::overdoses on 'actions'::
::falls over::

bacon ace said...

Jayne,
Of course you're allowed to cxomment here. Dog's ass eh? I think I'll keep going for human companionship but (butt, *snicker*) thanks for the backup plan.

Sparkle Plenty said...

Baconia, O, Baconia! This post is a classic, and I know you've been out mountain climbing, but please give to us the new post. Pretty please with delicious crispy bacon on it?

bacon ace said...

I apologize. I post one after I get back from a coffee run. ::vroom::