Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Another one bites the dust.

It’s hard when a friend dies. Especially if it was one you have a lot of fond memories with and have spent a lot of time together. My loss was over a year ago but I still feel it as sharply as if it were yesterday. When my now ex-girlfriend came home I was sullenly standing in the hall looking like I was going to cry. She immediately came over and asked me what was wrong. I told her that I just found out that a friend of mine had passed away. I was acting all choked up like I couldn’t bring myself to say the name of the person. Then I pointed to my XBOX 360 sitting on the coffee table in the next room. The hard drive had fried that day.
What immediately followed were her feelings of concern turning to anger. She couldn’t see the humor in this and took it very personally. She accused me of setting this up to play a cruel joke on her and to hurt her. I guess since she had a friend of her family die 6 months prior it was too soon to make any jokes about death. Then she started crying. What? Oh yeah, she was crying because she couldn’t believe how mean I was being. Because remember folks, I orchestrated this all to make her look foolish. For months after that she’d refer back to that incident as “cruel”. Sorry, I can’t help it if I’m friggin’ hilarious. Everyone I told the story to laughed about what I’d done, and then were perplexed and bewildered by her reaction. I still am.

No comments: