Friday, February 1, 2008

Tattoo Time pt2

Here's my 2nd tattoo the blue flames half sleeve. If you've heard that tattoos are addictive then you've heard correctly. I got this one month after the bacon on the same arm*.
I'm all for people getting whatever they want tattooed on them but for my own art it has to mean something to me so you'll never see me with a comic book character or any kind of brand icon no matter how much I like Subarus. Basically I was at a point in my life where I was really unhappy. I was unhappy at home and at work and this tattoo was a promise to myself to burn away the unhappiness by either fixing the situations or getting rid of them (as it turns out in both cases I opted for the "getting rid of" options as both situations turned out to be unworkable). It was to be a constant reminder to myself to not put up with anything less than what I'd want in the future and to never get myself into a similar situation, or at least if I did to do something about it right away.
I chose blue because as this was a cleansing fire natural gas burns cleanly as opposed to say an orange flame which leaves carbon residue (think campfire). So clean flame equals clean start. Oh, that and I really like the look of it which is, of course, important.

Here it is with just the blue done the day after the first session:


And here it is completed with the white accents and fully healed:


*I'll save you the time; the flames cooking the bacon joke has been made.

9 comments:

bacon ace said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sparkle Plenty said...

1) Very cool visually and interesting to hear about its meaning.
2) How long did it take?
3) Do you have any tattoo artists you like a lot?
4) I am disappointed that someone already made the bacon cooking joke. Sigh.

bacon ace said...

1) Thanks Sparks. While I love the bacon tattoo, and it does have meaning in that I totally love bacon, I decided all my future tattoos would be more personal in their reasons for being on me. Wait until you see the in-progress sleeve. You'll love it.

2) The blue took 6.5 hours in one sitting and was done at the Boston tattoo convention by Jay Ranno. He moved shops but is in Amherst MA. I think at Mom's Tattoos. He finished the 2 hours of white detail at his then home Holeshot Tattoos

3) Yeah Jay was great. He understood what I was going for and did a great job. Though Kurt Brown at Pino Bros. Ink in Cambridge is my favorite artist. He's the one doing the current piece.

4) Sorry Sparks, it was made before I even got the flames.

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful that the flames have such personal meaning to you...I saw that one when it was relatively new (I guess) but didn't know the background. That seems to be the most important thing about a tattoo; that it means something to YOU.

I'm done after two smallish tattoos but that's only because I've got all I wanted; one for me (very small, on my left wrist) and one shared with my sister (mine is on my calf and she has the same one on her lower back).

I still think you need eggs...and I'll be bringing that up years from now so you may as well get used to it. Hee!

Redbeard76 said...

Stop, drop and roll.

I Ain't No Oprah said...

So To Sum Up:

Bacon Ace got the tattoo to impress Barb Michelen.

bacon ace said...

Jesus NoOprah! Tell the whole world whydoncha.

asian cowgirl said...

Wow that second picture is really something - just the way it's framed. Was that taken at Jeff's?

bacon ace said...

Yup. Jeff took that in his studio. I'm going to ask him to take pictures of the latest one too when it's done.