Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Image is everything

Yesterday someone on my team wore a tie to work. Now when you do that everyone in an IT office will ask why you're wearing a tie because we simply don't do that at work. "Are you interviewing?" comes from just about every concerned co-worker, or the ones eager to see you leave as well.

So yesterday the guy that wore the tie was also wearing jeans and sneakers. After he threw down the gauntlet I decided to wear a tie today as well, with a dress shirt and dress pants. You know, really class the joint up. My team thought it was pretty funny, but the HR person I passed in the hall had a look of horror on her face. Because she works in HR I'm imagining that she can't ask if I'm interviewing even as a joke (you know how they can be about rules and such), but you could see that she really wanted to say something and didn't. It made me laugh.
The VP of Engineering stopped by my desk and asked what was with the tie. I told him today was my last day and his facial expression was priceless. A smile that slowly turned to stone face. He seemed very releaved that I was just kidding.

4 comments:

I Ain't No Oprah said...

So you're on for Sunday?

Cake said...

Oh god, that's the kind of thing that happens at my office...if you come in dressed any better than 'business professional casual' (or whatever they call it these days), the automatic assumption is that you have an interview.

Folks need new hobbies. Or something.

Sparkle Plenty said...

See, if you wear a godzilla suit NOBODY asks you if you're interviewing. Plus, put an outline of godzilla on the men's room door and you'll have it all to yourself.

bacon ace said...

Cake,
Some people are afreaid of losing top talent, and I can't say that I blame them.

Sparks,
I like the way you think. Incase anyone tries to come into your own private Godzilla bathroom just make the Godzilla rorar sound. You know the one.

On a side note Blue Oyster Cult will always be welcome in the Godzilla bathroom.