Monday, June 28, 2010

Why does this keep happening?

Every so often someone thinks I'm gay and I have no idea why. It happened again last weekend. On Saturday night I was out to dinner with a male friend of mine. At the restaurant the waiter was being really friendly. More so than a waiter normally is. He would come by and we'd chat a little bit about the restaurant, their food, and the events they have there. As time went on I realized he was pleasant to my friend, but really focused on speaking to me. Then he touched my shoulder in a friendly way when he said something. At that point I was like, great, he thinks I'm gay and I'm being flirted with...again.
I should tell you that I've been to that restaurant before with a woman, and had that waiter, and this didn't happen. Nothing even remotely like it. The section of the restaurant we were seated in was narrow and there was really only room for one person to get by. Knowing this I let my friend go first as we were leaving. He passed by the waiter who said the usually waiter "good bye and thanks for coming". As I went by he smiled and touched my shoulder and said some similar waiter nicety to me.
When we got outside I asked my friend if he'd picked up on what happened and he was oblivious. When I pointed it out to him it was painfully obvious. I even emailed a gay friend of mine today to ask if I came off as gay at all and to ask how or why this keeps happening. He was stumped. I'd told him before that this happens and he just couldn't see it at all.
Maybe it had something to do with the fact that I picked up the whole check (it was my friend's birthday), the fact that I'm part Italian and speak with my hands. Maybe that can come off as flamboyant? I really don't know.

12 comments:

Sanjeev said...

Hey, for the record, *I* was that male friend having dinner with Mason that night...and I most certainly DID pick up on the flirtation!

There was quite a bit of shoulder-touching going on...it was kinda sweet! Honestly, the waiter was really nice and attentive...but it was pretty clear who he was diggin'!

At one point, Mason left the table, and I talked to the waiter for a minute about how great the wings were...but it was completely platonic. A few laughs, but no touching going on! I guess I missed the part at the end when we were leaving, when he gave Mason a little shoulder-squeeze. I was too busy navigating my over-stuffed bulk through the busy isle without knocking anyone over!

Cake not signed in said...

It's just that you're FABULOUS!

Ps
Did you share dessert? Or one pop, two straws? One plate of spaghetti with a Lady and the Tramp noodle moment? Just checking...

Cake not signed in said...

It's just that you're FABULOUS!

Ps
Did you share dessert? Or one pop, two straws? One plate of spaghetti with a Lady and the Tramp noodle moment? Just checking...

Cake said...

Ack, sorry, Internet hiccupped.

paul howley said...

I've always had some idea that you might have been a little gay....

Sparkle Plenty said...

1) I think it might be your bacon scented cologne--powerful aphrodisiac.
2) Happy Belated Birthday, Sanjeev!

ChrisM said...

I would just take the compliment and go on with your life. Your a clean, well-groomed, stylish fellow in a large city. A guy with bad gaydar thought you were worth it and was friendly.

Frankly, if he didn't give you his phone number, then you don't know for sure. For all you know, he was grooming you for his creepy Bible study group. They do a lot of those kinds of "get friendly with them" types of things, regardless of being male or female...

As long as your friends aren't setting you up with the wrong kind of blind dates, I'm thinkin' your fine.

Was it Sanjeev's birthday? Happy Birthday Sanjeev!

ChrisM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bacon ace said...

Well Chris, I'm not bothered by it, just confused. This isn't the first time. And make no mistake, Sanjeev and I were both very convinced that he wasn't just being nice.

Mulderjoe not signed in said...

Perhaps it's your choice of venue. Try a restaurant that's not called "The Manhole"...

Anonymous said...

Chris is onto something there...a 'clean, well-groomed, stylish fellow' that appears to be opiate free and employed is a challenge to find-ANYWHERE-FOR ANYONE, in this state and in this economy-male or female. Why should he (the gay waiter) dismiss any possible options?

Unless one is ultra femme-my gaydar is notoriously wrong. I have unknowingly hit on countless gay men over the years, much to my own embarrassment.

This makes me think of why? Well, i am attracted to people who are alive- not just the living but those that truly seem like they are enjoying life. Confidence makes anyone attractive. Pride is another quality that gets my attention. Do they dress and behave as if they have pride in themselves? Just as these qualities will attract females, they will also attract males.

Just smile and realize that you're the shit.

The Silver Fox said...

I know how you feel.

Every so often I find out that some bloggers still link to David'Z RantZ, by its real name or a "cutesy" name, even though I retired it over a year ago.

Weird, huh?